Saturday, Aug 13 @9:00pm | MJE West
(+ All Day Programming Sun Aug 14)
An Explanatory Reading of Eicha, MJE WEST
Brought to you by MJE & JICNY
Please join us on Tisha B’av as we come together in communal reflection of and healing for the destruction of the Temple. Our theme this year is “Beyond Labels.” Members of the Jewish community celebrate together and mourn together, whatever our beliefs, religious practices, or background. Too often we create divisiveness within our communities, where there should be unity. This is a day for the entirety of the Jewish people to come together and observe this day, each in our own way.
Saturday evening we will be having a spiritual kumsitz, singing circle, an explanatory reading of the book of Eichah (the book of Lamentations), and a closing ceremony for the evening. Everyone is welcome. You are also invited to participate in any part of our all-day Tisha B’av program on Sunday, including services in the morning, learning throughout the day about the destruction of the Temple, special movies commemorating the day in conjunction with the Jewish center, and kinnot, explanatory words and poetry to help us cope with the mourning. Mincha will be with the Jewish Center in the afternoon.
Brought to you by:
COMPLETE TISHA B’AV SCHEDULE
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT TISHA B’AV CEREMONY
- Tisha B’av is a fast day, commemorating the saddest day on the Jewish calendar. The fasting starts 7:56 pm, so eat and hydrate before coming!
- It is customary not to wear leather shoes on Tisha B’Av
- All seating will be on the floor. If you have a medical or other needs for a chair, please let us know in advance and we will provide.
- EVERYONE will be asked to remove their shoes before sitting down on our mats so they do not get damaged
- The program will conclude by 11:15pm.
PREPARE WITH CLASSES
Next Level Class Series: Understanding the Three Weeks, Nine Days, & Tisha B’Av with Rabbi Mark Wildes
Wednesdays @8pm | MJE West | MORE INFO
August 3 | From Destruction to Redemption 2 (with substitute)
August 10 | From Destruction to Redemption 3
- Orthodox Union – “The Three Weeks”
- Chabad – “Tisha B’Av and the 3 Weeks”
- Aish – “9AV”
- My Jewish Learning – “The Three Weeks”
- Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach: Shifchi Kamaim – Song
- “Ani Ma’amin” (I Believe) – Song
- Book by Erica Brown – “In The Narrow Places”