Saturday, July 21 @9:00pm | MJE West
(+ All Day Programming Sunday, July 22)
An Explanatory Reading of Eicha, MJE WEST
On Tisha b’Av, we commemorate tragedies that have befallen the Jewish people, many of which occurred on the ninth of Av. At MJE, we will gather to read Eicha (the Book of Lamentations) and to discuss and reflect upon the themes of the day with classes, prayer, and films.
If you would like to sponsor this event in honor or memory of a loved one, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a people we have gone through expulsions across millennia, countries and ethnicities. We have been uprooted, and forced to leave hostile environments; traveled with nothing on our backs creating new home after new home. We, of all people should not only be sensitive and empathetic to the plight of refugees or anyone forced to leave their homes but active, involved and moved!
COMPLETE TISHA B’AV SCHEDULE
Saturday Night, July 21
Night program of Eicha, Discussions, and Songs
Sunday, July 22
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT TISHA B’AV
- Tisha B’av is a fast day, commemorating the saddest day on the Jewish calendar. The fasting starts 8:23 pm, so eat and hydrate before coming!
- It is customary not to wear leather shoes on Tisha B’Av
- All seating will be on the floor. If you have a medical or other needs for a chair, please let us know in advance and we will provide.
- EVERYONE will be asked to remove their shoes before sitting down on our mats so they do not get damaged
- The program will conclude by 11:00pm.
- Orthodox Union – “The Three Weeks”
- Chabad – “Tisha B’Av and the 3 Weeks”
- Aish – “9AV”
- My Jewish Learning – “The Three Weeks”
- Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach: Shifchi Kamaim – Song
- “Ani Ma’amin” (I Believe) – Song
- Book by Erica Brown – “In The Narrow Places”